Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Use Google Alerts to Save Money

Google has a neat little tool that sends you alerts whenever a search term you specify appears in a new web page, blog post, or news article. You can choose how often you want to receive alerts by setting it to once a day, once a week, or as it happens. Google will send you a digest of items containing your search term right to your in box. You can setup multiple alerts and delete them at any time. I’ve been using Google Alerts to save money in a variety of ways:

Coupons & Codes: There are several brands, products and stores I buy from on a frequent basis. I have set-up several alerts with store, product, and brand name and the terms “coupon” and “code”

Sales & Deals: If I know I will be making an upcoming purchase for some product I will setup a google alert for that product’s name and the terms “deal” and “sale”.

Product Reviews: For products I am looking into purchasing I will setup a google alert for the products name and the term “review”

Money Saving Tips: I’m always interested in learning new money saving tips. I have several general money saving alerts set up including: “money saving tips”, “frugal living”, “ways to save money”, “gardening tips”. This alerts me anytime there is fresh new content on the web or in blogs that can show me how to save money.

You can setup a Google Alert at: www.google.com/alerts

No comments: